Christmas Tree Cupcakes :
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Bake Time : 20-25 minutes
Servings : 12 -18
Option 1) use a box of chocolate cake mix, follow instructions and bake cupcakes.
Option 2) bake chocolate cupcakes from scratch. See recipe down below.
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup hot water
- vanilla frosting premade
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup of shortening (or additional butter)
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2–3 tablespoons of water or heavy cream
- Salt, to taste*
Christmas Trees :
- pretzel sticks
- white chocolate chips or chopped block
- green food coloring
Steps: In a microwaveable bowl melt the white chocolate chips. Add green food coloring to liking. Place in piping bag or ziploc bag and cut the tip. Place pretzel sticks on a lined wax cookie sheet. Then starting from the top working in a zig zag motion down the bottom make your Christmas shape. Next add sprinkles. Place in freezer until set.
1. Preheat oven to 300°F and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
3. Combine the egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla in another medium sized bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
5. Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. Batter will be thin.
6. Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
7. Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
To make the frosting :
1. combine the butter and shortening in a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
2. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
3. Add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of water or cream and mix until smooth and well combined.
4. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
5. Add more water or cream until desired consistency is reached, then add salt to taste.
6. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled add the frosting either with a spatula or pipe.
7. Then sprinkle coconut shavings on top and add the Christmas trees on top.
8. Serve and enjoy!!